As I’ve mentioned on numerous occasions, I really love creating historically accurate doll clothes based on book illustrations. When I saw this beautiful 1970s peasant top on the cover of Julie’s mystery, “The Puzzle of the Paper Daughter” I knew that I had to make it! This ended up being quite a challenging project and my feelings towards the results are mixed.
I copied the embroidery design freehand from the illustration, making modifications where necessary and then transferred that onto my cut-out fabric pieces with disappearing ink. The embroidery obviously is what took the longest with this project. I don’t embroider much and my patience only allowed me to sit still and work on it for short periods at a time. I am fairly pleased with how all of the colors came together (it was really fun to pick out the colors from the store–I tried to match them as close as possible). Once I started piecing it together though, I realized that my embroidery should have been much smaller to create a much smaller yoke. The shape of the the top really is not quite right since the waist comes down lower than it should. I didn’t have a pattern and therefore ended up piecing together a couple of different patterns, making several of my own modifications as I went, which is where I went wrong.
I do love that I was able to find white puff-ball trim (maybe there is an actual technical name for this, but if there is I have no idea) at Wal-Mart that I think looks a lot like the illustration! I made the turtleneck underneath from the Flossie Potter 70’s Bodysuit pattern on Pixie Faire.
If I were to do this again (which I won’t–way too time consuming!) I would make the yoke shorter and keep the cut of the top more true to the illustration and correct for the 1970s time period. Overall though, I love Julie in bright colors. She is easily the doll I give the least attention to, so it was fun to work on something special for her!