Happy New Year! One of my resolutions for 2016 is to be more organized, particularly in my doll/sewing room. I’ve been working for the past few days to make this happen and I think I’m off to a good start! I don’t like to spend a bunch of money on organizational tools. That’s just money that I could be putting towards more doll things! 🙂 I have seen a number of great organizational ideas on various doll websites, but most of them involve investing in cabinetry, storage totes, and bins. Though my method isn’t quite as professional looking as some others I have seen, it is working really well for me so far and meets all of my requirements, which are:
- I decided the clothes absolutely need to be hung. I was tired of wrinkled outfits and having to dig when I was looking for something. I wanted to be able to see and access everything easily.
- I wanted to be able to display at least parts of my collection…what’s the point of having it if I can’t enjoy looking at it? 🙂
- I really only have one wall to devote to my collection, so it needed to take up only a moderate amount of space.
- It needed to be inexpensive.
The most helpful item I came up with is this hanging rack my husband I and designed and made out of PVC pipe. It is not beautiful, but it has ample storage and is fairly sturdy. It allows me to easily see and access all of my outfits. It is made of 1/2 inch PVC pipe, and as you can see, some of the rods are sagging a bit. Flexibility is just a characteristic of the pipe, though, so I feel confident that it is structurally sound and the sagging sacrifices nothing besides aesthetics.
I didn’t want all of my outfits to get dusty while hung up, so I solved that problem by placing each inside of an upside-down gallon storage bag. I like to keep all pieces and accessories together, so for the items that can’t be hung I used a smaller baggie that I hole-punched and threaded with a ribbon. The ribbon is hung over the hanger…
For items that are difficult to hang, such as skirts and shorts, I found that mini clothespins work very well. These wire hangers, incidentally, are another piece of my husband’s ingenuity.
I found one of my biggest clutter issues happened when I mixed and matched an outfit and then left the remaining pieces lying around. That of course also increased my risk of loosing things. Simple and obvious though it may seem, designating this basked as my “Miscellaneous Outfit Pieces” box helps me to give such items a temporary home until the are reunited with the outfit that they come from.
…it’s a mug tree! I found it at Goodwill for a dollar and had a feeling it would come in handy! I think I will find some sort of plastic to put over it at some point so they don’t get dusty. The gallon baggie was a little too snug and I was afraid it would bend the bonnets into funny shapes.
My grandpa made me this trunk for my dolls when I was little and it has stored my treasures for years. I always kept Kirsten’s collection in it and I feel strangely guilty for taking them out and hanging them up. I am now using it for extra pieces and accessories that aren’t easily stored elsewhere.
This is the final product! I am glad to have some room for dolls that aren’t currently on display in other parts of my house. Right now Susan and Linda are hanging out up there. I also have space for my books, some of my pets, and my memorabilia. Most of my childhood books are still at my parents’ house, which is good because I definitely don’t have the space. Overall I am pretty happy with the results of my project and am ready for the next phase of my resolution…keeping it this way! 🙂